Among the various kinds of mental illness that can have adverse impact on nearly every aspect of a person’s life, depression is one of the most detrimental. It can significantly affect career, social life, relationships and self-confidence. Several studies have shown that women are twice as likely as men to suffer from depression. According to comprehensive surveys, one among eight women is bound to become a victim of this problem at least once in her entire lifetime.
Depression in women is often characterised by a wide range of symptoms. Some of the most common signs that can indicate a woman is suffering from the blues are:
- Hypersomnia or insomnia
- Low spirits
- No interest in day-to-day or favourite activities
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Suicidal thoughts or self-harming tendencies
- Inability to concentrate
- Acute fatigue and low energy.
There are a number of theories that can be used for justifying the reason why depression occurs in women. Based on these theories, several psychological, biological and social factors can be cited:
- Stress – Excessive stress at workfront, home or school, or pressure of career and marital life.
- Rumination – Over thinking problems, crying or making too much effort in figuring out the main cause of an issue.
- Conception Issues – Hormonal changes that are bound to occur during pregnancy, or problems like miscarriage, infertility or unwanted pregnancy.
- Premenstrual Problems – Fluctuation of hormones during menstruation which causes irritability, bloating, fatigue and emotional trauma.
- Health Disorders – Disability, chronic illness, injury, crash dieting or sudden resolutions to quit addictions.
- Financial Issues – Continuing money problems.
At times, the cause may even be purely medical, as seen in women having thyroid problems. While consulting a psychologist in Bondi for a depressed woman, information about such issues must be conveyed properly if there exist any.
The most commonly used methods for treatment of depressed women include psychotherapy and antidepressant therapy. Besides that, sharing and discussing the problems with spouse, close friends or family members can also be very helpful. One should also not abstain from taking part in regular activities. Simple exercises like meditation, yoga or walking can reduce fatigue and enhance energy levels to a great extent. It is also important to get adequate amounts of peaceful sleep.